This is one of the most difficult types of body shape to find denim for, the waist will be smaller than the hips/thighs, hence this constant struggle of whether to buy denim that fits the waist or fits the hips.
Few hardcore tried and tested tips that will make your life easier.
1. When buying the denim, keep in mind to buy darker colors. So a navy blue or a midnight blue instead of a baby blue, a dark grey instead of regular grey.
2. Having design details highlighting your thighs/pockets is a big no unless you love flaunting your lower body.
3. Any design detail or the wash or cuts on denim should be on the knee or below.
4. Avoid the skinny fit, instead, opt for regular skinny if you like the narrow fit.
5. Boyfriend fit denim looks flattering on this body shape.
6. if you want to buy a bootcut, something that is tight at the thighs and then slightly wider at the hem, you can however always wear heels with this denim, or it will make you look short and stout.
7. It is a myth that regular straight denim looks great on this body type, instead, I would suggest that have it a little bit narrow at the hem. So you can buy the regular fit straight denim and then get the hem altered a bit narrow then straight. A narrow hem will give an amazing lean legs look
8. Mid rise / high rise works very well. If you have a midriff, then avoid the high rise because that will emphasize on the heavy midriff.
9. See to it that the back pockets are not widely spaced and placed. meaning the back pockets have to be as closely placed as possible, widely spaced design always gives an illusion of wider body and we don’t want that. (See picture below)
10. Invest in the best quality denim that you can afford, look at the fabric composition and see to it that there is a little 2% elastane fabric, up to 30% is a good stretch and this will give the denim a nice fit on your body.