A brunch or dinner, Day date or night event, A red lipstick can brighten up any day any event.
I know many friends who are afraid to pick the RED, but ladies, there is a RED for everyone and once you find your RED, it is the most loyal in your makeup kit.
My top tips to pick your RED:
1. Undertone – The trick is to know your undertone and then pick the red that compliments your undertone. You can check whether you have warm or cool undertones by tow simple tests.
a. Vein test – Check inside your writs, and examine the color. If your veins are greenish in color, you have a warm undertone. If your veins are Bluish, you have cool undertones. If its a mixture of both then you have a neutral undertone.
b. Jewelry test – Which metal of jewelry is the most flattering on your skin. If gold looks better, you have a warm undertone. If silver, you have a cool undertone and if both metals look good, it is a neutral undertone.
2. The depth of Skin – Once you know whether you are Warm / Cool / Neutral, knowing the depth of skin will help. For understanding sake, I am diving this in three parts of light, medium, and dark. I would highly recommend you to try shades in a range of depths and not get stuck to societal standards of skin depth shade.
a. Light – Light and bright reds are your go-to reds
b. Medium – You can wear almost all the shades of red.
c. Dark – Deep rich / Deep bright Red is your go-to red.
3. Teeth color – I know this sounds crazy, but Red is fiery and it can make your teeth and in effect, your smile look bad if you pick the wrong shade. Red-orange shade has a tendency to bring out the yellow tones in teeth. So people with warm undertones, if your teeth are not extremely, you know you have to avoid the REDs with orange in them. Similarly, for people with cool undertones, if you have slightly tinted or yellow teeth, opt for Red-Blue. This Red-blue helps your teeth look a bit brighter.
4. The right formula – Lipsticks comes in various formulas now. So a matte red will look like a pop of color on your lips. A lip stain will be light on lips and color wise. A creamy texture will add fullness to the lips, making red look bright. So pick the formula that works for you.
5. Ocassion – Now Red can be worn anytime, however since Red is overpowering as a color and more so as a lip color, choose the intensity of your red depending on where you are going and what you want to convey.
By the way, my favorite is MAC’s #RubyWoo, it is a cult and I absolutely cannot do away without this shade no matter where I am.