Grooming for men, was such an alien topic a few years back. It was a concept which was restricted to men in the glamour industry. However, now times have changed, men grooming is not a taboo or a frowned upon topic among the new rise of the metrosexual male. So what changed? I remember as young adult watching stars like Amitabh Bachchan only promoting things or doing an advertisement for Ambuja cement. Then came the crop of Shahrukh Khan, he started with the face creams specially designed for men, the 7 signs of aging were not restricted to just women but men as well and now the young heartthrob cricketers like Virat Kohli to Ranvir Singh are promoting grooming products and you see any male from age group 15-45 and they have a range of products that they don’t shy away from. In fact the new crop of YouTubers like Vaibhav (Sherry shroffs husband), Jatin from the style doodler and other male bloggers dont shy away from trying new style garments to facemasks.
Grooming: Do you know the global market for male grooming products is projected at US dollars 60.7 billion by 2020. And unlike the belief its not just the shaving cream or the fragrance items, sunscreen, lightening creams, anti-aging creams are ruling the market.
Grooming Tips, Do’s & Dont’s –
1. Beard is officially out as a style and with summer sun calls for you to shave it off. The latest trend in beard or hairstyle is minimalistic chic. In case you don’t want to shave it off then trim it to the minimum
2. With the heat, the maintenance of hair is difficult. Summer is also less about using heavy products on hair, use lightweight serums instead of gel for hair, as they tend to get oily as the day passes. However, if your hair is unruly then opt for products that are summer ready and keep your beard (if at all) and hair clean.
3. Rogue hair out of nose and ear is a big NO. Invest in a simple pair of scissors or buy the trimming accessories that are easily available in the market.
4. Invest in good cool fragrance in terms of a cologne or perfume. A colonge works well during the day or when you are outdoors.
5. Apply Sunscreen during the day. It’s not a myth when we say that Sun is harsh, so whether you are indoors or outdoors, use a sunscreen and we have especially sunscreens for men.
Styling: Styling for men has also seen a fabulous growth and I am personally happy for this. Men wardrobe used to dominate the blacks blues grey with occasional cream, olive, and deep maroon. But now if you see casuals for men, or even traditional styles for men, its such an amazing mix of style, cuts, pattern, and print. It’s not just the younger lot, the last set of weddings I attended, the bride’s father was dressed in an asymmetrical kurta with a floral headgear.
Styling TIps, Do’s & Dont’s
1. For summer opt for cotton and linen for casual wear. Cotton or khaki pants and white shirt are a super hit, you can add glamour to it but pairing it with kolhapuri chappals for the day and a bright red loafer for night.
2. Another great tip for summer casual is blend fabrics . For work wear, it will be difficult to opt for cotton/linen on regular basis so check for the cotton blend. Lots of brands like Zara, Louie Phillip start carrying trousers and shirts which have cotton viscose which is a breathable fabric.
3. Summer is all about colors in fun shades. So don’t shy away and get stuck to blues and whites. Go for reds oranges, yellows and greens all in but lighter tones.
4. Shoes are a big part of Summer styling. It gets difficult to wear closed shoes all the time due to the heat and sweat, hence for non working days buy fancy sandals, kolhapuri chappals. For the night or evening events opt for loafers that are not leather.
5. When wearing lighter color shirts for work or casual, stay sweat free. Use talcum powder or even sweat pads under your arms. If you are sweating profusely than see a dermatologist.
Am sure these tips were helpful. have a great summer and keep your skin cool and young by eating a lot of mangoes.